Meraki, a hair care brand, was introduced to me by a friend and colleague. I have officially become obsessed by all their products. I use their products everyday from their Glow Oil to their amazing Conditioner. One of my favorite things about Meraki’s products are that they are infused with crystals, not only does it give my hair and body the best energy but it gives my soul the most fulfilling energy.
I had the chance to interview the founder of Meraki, Amber Makupson. She is a true gem and inspirationg. I am honored to have gotten to interview her for my series on amazing female founders.
Here is a little bit about the amazing founder, Amber:
Meraki was founded in 2018 by Amber Makupson, as a labor of self-love, self-empowerment and dedication to wellness.
A native of Ohio, Amber moved and settled in Atlanta, Georgia at a young age, and started to focus on a healthy, holistic lifestyle and make her own natural remedies during her pregnancy when she developed skin sensitivities.
Her background as a licensed aesthetician specialized in botanical treatments helped when, after suffering a serious chemical burn from an over-the-counter beauty product, Amber was fed up of the toxic ingredients damaging so many other women and decided to create Meraki Organics, a non-toxic vegan haircare brand infused with gemstones to nourish skin, hair, body and soul.
1. Tell me how you got started.
I started Meraki in 2018 after experiencing 2nd degree chemical burns on my face from an over the counter beauty product, I set out to curate my own collection of vegan, non toxic hair care and skin care products. I found great joy and passion in formulating, and learning about different ingredients from around the world and their natural Ayurvedic healing abilities.
2. Where do you want to take your already successful brand? I really want to continue to focus on organic growth within my direct to consumer channel. I also have a few really exciting retail partnerships that are launching this fall. Ultimately I want Merki to become a household name and continue to bring clean, innovative and healing products to the market.
3. What are the top 3 things you have learned over the years building your brand?
I literally learn something new everyday. My top 3 would be.
- The importance of building a great team. This is crucial to your success.
- Keeping a clear vision and being laser focused on the direction I want to take my brand.
- Understanding my customers’ needs and values.
4. How have you had to pivot during this last year?
Yes, one pivotI have taken this year is moving from inhouse manufacturing to contract manufacturing in order to keep up with inventory demand and to focus on growing my brand.
5. What values do you stand for? What values do you want to inspire in others?
“ I believe self love is the key to unlocking your full potential in life. Keeping my faith in God is where I pull my strength and direction from. I trust the timing of my life. I believe that we all have special gifts that unlock our highest, truest selves.”
“The word Meraki means to do something with love, soul, and creativity; To put the essence of yourself in your work! I hope that my brand will inspire others to flourish in this beautiful space.”
6. What is your favorite piece of advice you have gotten?
My favorite piece of advice I have received is never let fear stop you from achieving your goals. Also learning the power of my thoughts and the importance of controlling my thoughts.
7. What are your favorite books and podcasts to go to for inspiration?
A few of my favorite podcasts are How I Built This, Glossy, and Super Soul Sunday. A few of my favorite books are The Alchemist and 7 7 spiritual laws of success.
Be sure to follow along with Amber and Meraki on Instagram at @merakiorganics_Thank you to Amber for coming along on this. journey!
Have a joyful day!
~Iced Tea & Top Knots